Saturday, November 19, 2011

Touch

There is no doubt that we have five senses (perhaps a sixth one as well for some). Different ways to experience the world we live in. Sight, smell, hearing, taste and feel. My comprehension of my world begins primarily with my eyes. I listen so I may speak appropriate words. I inhale the scent of the air around me. I appreciate the flavor of food. And I touch, so I may feel.

Somewhere along the way, I thought the senses were mutually exclusive for the most part. I know people who can't see but can hear. I know hearing impaired people with an acute olfactory sense. Of course there is an exception with food. I read somewhere that when we eat, we first eat with our eyes, then take in the aroma, hear the sizzle of hot food and then feel the texture in our mouth before we get to the taste. Pretty complex stuff huh?

What I did not know until recently was that we can also use one sense to understand something typically associated with another sense. Confused?

Read the following lines of beautiful poetry by Javed Akhtar, featured in the movie Zindagi Na Milege Dobara

Jab jab dard ka baadal chaya
Jab ghum ka saya lehraya
Jab aansoo palkon tak aya
Jab yeh tanha dil ghabraya

Humne dil ko yeh samjhaya
…Dil aakhir tu kyun rota hai
Duniya mein yunhi hota hai

Yeh jo gehre sannate hain
Waqt ne sabko hi baante hain
Thoda ghum hai sabka qissa
Thodi dhoop hai sabka hissa
Aankh teri bekaar hi nam hai
Har pal ek naya mausam hai
Kyun tu aise pal khota hai
Dil aakhir tu kyun rota hai


I felt a pang when I read it. I was using my eyes but hearing the words in my head. But I was left with the feeling that something had touched me, the predominant emotion was of "touch" - not sight, not hearing. Strange I thought.

Then I came across a wonderful collection of Sufi songs. Some were songs that I had seen in movies. But there was one from an album. I played the CD on my laptop and went to the kitchen to fix dinner. As the notes tumbled out, I actually felt a powerful force drawing me back to the laptop from where the speakers were doing a great job of amplifying the music. I could hear it from the kitchen, but the power pulling me was not for audible clarity, it was a power telling me to stop doing anything else, compelling me to halt, and just be. Not comprehend, not memorize, not repeat. Just be. The words eluded me but the tune stayed. The tug at my heart (not brain) came from not just the poignancy of the voice but from a deeper connection with the melody. I was touched.

I am amazed at myself for experiencing feelings through my other senses. Ability to see and hear can be quantified by measurement. Smell is a tricky one, it can become tolerant or weak or sensitive, something that can be gauged qualitatively. Taste of course, while being subjective, can be classified too. But how do we express our ability to feel? Is it just the response to a physical stimulus on skin? Is it a sensation, of pleasure, or pain or plain numbness? Our ability to feel depends not just on the number of nerve endings per square inch of skin. It is in our openness to receive, our sensitivity to perceive beyond the obvious, to be open to new and inexplicable situations. As I age, I find that I am not doing so well on some measurable parameters for certain senses, but what fills me with hope is that I am refining my sense of touch. I feel more now than when I lived in the obvious world of sensory overload. I now stop and appreciate things. With my participation, I feel more alive. Perhaps growing old has its rewards.

No comments:

Post a Comment