Friday, November 25, 2011

Do something

A common refrain amongst NRIs when they visit India, is to exhort the resident Indians to "do something". It could be anything that is perceived as being sub-optimal or downright intolerable - heat, air conditioning, traffic, pollution, noise, inefficiency, lack of discipline and on and on goes the list. It seems simple enough for a transient visitor to point out the lack and place the responsibility onto people who live here all the time. I find this stance not just annoying but supremely idiotic. Let me get this straight - I live here 365 days a year. I inhale the automobile exhaust, deal with inordinate delays at most places of business, I brave the summer heat and the malfunctioning air conditioning, all the time. I try to get on with my life. In fact, I find that I have a pretty wonderful and satisfying life on most days, despite this chaos. But here comes a tourist, who once held an Indian passport, and now finds the whole scene unbearable, even for a short time.

Here come the million-dollar answer to the oft-repeated question of "Why don't you do something about this?"

Who should do something here? The person who has a life in India in spite of the obvious difficulties, the one who can live happily amidst all the uncertainties? I don't think so. I think the one who needs to "do something" is the one who has graduated to living in a rarefied space and changed to such an extent that what was once everyday life is now a terrible tragedy. I think the visitors needs to do something; about their attitude.

Let us look at the simple situation of "road rage" - traffic woes that add to the already stressed individual's limited capacity for dealing with adversity. Majority of people who find themselves stuck in traffic find ways of dealing with their anger and channeling their frustration while they inch along to their destination. But a few totally lose it and have the equivalent of a toddler's tantrum on the road. Who needs to do something here? The person with road rage or the others who are at the mercy of the lunatic? It is a rhetorical question, so no need to answer.

Coming back to the issue of doing something about all the ills of Indian society, I agree that there is much that can be done. Much more than what one individual can possibly do in a lifetime. But there is something each one of us can do. We can pick a cause or causes close to our heart and try to change the system, from within. Not by pointing an accusing finger to highlight what is wrong, but by putting out a helping hand to those who need it. It is easy to get dejected by the magnitude of things that could use sweeping reform. But every journey starts with a step.

I try to do something. It may not amount to much. But when I teach at the college, I try to instill a work ethic among students that breeds honesty, respect for others and sense of pride in work that is done sincerely, instead of thirsting for marks or degrees. I help out financially to those deserving individuals who cross my path. I always take calls from those who seek career guidance. I feed biscuits to little kids who beg at traffic lights and stray dogs that seem to need a snack. I can't be Mother Theresa. I can't save the world. But I can act in my little way. Perhaps India will not transform in my lifetime, but it helps me to know that I am doing something.

But I did not say all this to the person to quipped "Do something". I felt it was better to say nothing than do nothing.

1 comment:

  1. Nice one. The smallest good deed being better than the grandest intention!

    ReplyDelete