Monday, December 20, 2010

A wish, revisited

Almost 10 years ago, Volkswagen launched the new version of the classic Beetle in the US. I used to drive a Toyota Corolla then, a nondescript silver sedan with 100K miles on it. I had recently been promoted and was told that I needed a new car. I am not an automobile buff. Apart from driving, I just make sure there is enough fuel to get to my destination, occasionally I check the tire pressure or get servicing done. I did not have any particular car that I coveted. And then came the red Beetle that stole my heart.

I loved the dome-shaped head, the cute lights and the overall glamor quotient. The two-door tiny car was not the most practical choice when you have to ferry around a three-year old in a car seat. But I wanted a Beetle, a little red bug. Given the popularity of the model, there were no red bugs in the entire state of California. I was told it would take 3 weeks, at least, to get one from a VW dealership across the state border. And somewhere in those three weeks, I lost interest.

So I drove the old Corolla for two more years.

Now, it's time to buy a new car. Just when VW is introducing its fleet in India.

I think I will get a Volkswagen. But should I get the Beetle?

Readers - I would like your opinion.

2 comments:

  1. Ranjani, Pick Volkswagen. Beetle might not quite work for you in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Beetle - fun, peppy, sassy - be unpredictable, don't get saddled with the image!

    ReplyDelete