Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Time for introspection

I met a friend for lunch today. We were talking about plans for the upcoming year end weekends. He mentioned that he likes to stay put at this time of the year to reflect back on the year that was. For a typical extrovert that appears to be, it seemed out of character. I asked him how he scored 2010. He said it had been "brilliant" and set out to list all the accomplishments - finally getting his Ph.D., a promotion, building scientific rigor in the group that he managed. But he also listed his trips to Corbett and Bandhavgarh to see the tigers, his hobby of photography and his passion for teaching that he had been able to follow.

I was impressed. He was able to articulate the important things he had accomplished but more significantly, he was able to give himself credit for it.

So often I find myself rushing from one activity to another, moving from one completed project to another, hardly keeping track of how I feel about it. I have had a good year too but I will need more time to list the highlights. Perhaps I need to underline what I would like to keep on the list or do more of in the new year and savor the satisfaction of all the accomplishments.

I am taking a few days off next week. I plan to get on with that list and articulate the goals for next year as well.

You should too.

No comments:

Post a Comment