Saturday, December 25, 2010

A new experience

Today I went for a test drive for my next car. I have narrowed my choice own to the Volkswagen Vento. I went to Orion Motors and got into the white demo car. It felt good to get behind the wheel of a brand new car and drive along the smooth roads around KBR Park. I looked at the price list and asked about the accessories. When we returned back to the showroom, I was told that I would have to wait at least a couple of months for the car to be delivered. I don't mind.

I started driving almost 20 years ago and always thought of a car as a necessary means for getting around, specially when I lived in the US. I usually did not contribute much to the discussion about the model/make/series. I was happy to have a vehicle to drive. I was not too concerned about speakers and upholstery, price tag or social prestige associated with owning a vehicles. I did not participate in negotiations with the dealer. I was just a "user".

When I finally get this car delivered to my doorstep, this will be the first car that I drive, which is bought by me, for me. I would have chosen, tested and of course, paid for it myself. The car that I have picked is truly reflection of me at this time of my life. The whole car buying experience is itself a a major step. Like other things I have learnt to do for myself, I have now taken another step, or should I say, a leap?

No comments:

Post a Comment