Thursday, December 9, 2010

Doing well vs doing good

I met a good friend after a gap of almost 3 years. It was nice to catch up on all that had happened in the intervening years. Like good friendships, this one did not need to be constantly nurtured with regular phone calls or emails. We exchanged cryptic emails and highlights of important events without getting too sentimental. It was clear that we could get back on the same wavelength that had enabled us to become friends without too much trouble.

We talked about work, family, decision-making, handling the consequences of those decisions and other esoteric topics. We had both left our jobs and moved on, except for the fact that I had decided to chart my own course as an entrepreneur and avoided the regular route of another job.

As I summarized my feelings about where I was today, 3 years since the resignation, I realized that I felt exhilarated by all that had happened. There were highs and lows but overall I felt a great sense of accomplishment for having stood on my own. I now have my own apartment, I drive my car and I employ one person in my company, in addition to sustaining and caring for my family. My circle of friends is much larger than ever before and while I know a lot of people, a lot more people know me.

"Glad to see you doing well", said my friend.

The comment stems from the obvious observation that I appear self-sufficient and pleased. But as I drove back home, I understood that my pleasure at where I find myself today rises not from doing well, but doing good.

I have left behind a lot of negative beliefs, repressive circumstances, unnecessary guilt and other baggage. I try to be a good friend, a reliable consultant, a caring employer and a sensible teacher. I try to provide excellent service and expect to be compensated accordingly. I appreciate the flow of prosperity into my life without overtly getting attached to it.

While work keeps me busy, I try to stay calm. With peace, comes contentment.

And more chances to do good.

2 comments: