Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Retail therapy

I woke up on Monday morning feeling empty. This was not your typical Monday morning blues, associated with the beginning of another work week. But more of a hangover type of remorse, usually felt after a binge. In my case, it was not overdose of alcohol but more of a shopping orgy. I purchased jewelry, electronics and many additions to my wardrobe all in the course of a weekend. For three days, I entered several shops, parted with a large chunk of my earnings and walked out with large bags or a tiny box. Some of what I bought will appreciate over time (like gold) while the electronics will only depreciate and the clothes will certainly wear out. The joy of acquisition was short-lived, as all these facts became apparent to me the next morning. No wonder I felt depleted, instead of rich.

I wonder why retail therapy is so popular for anyone looking to feel better. I had an associate at my previous job who faced every minor setback in life with a trip to the mall. While she glowed with the joy of new possessions on that day, she looked very different on the day the credit card bill was due. After amassing a huge debt and faced with the reality of any salary increment only in the distant future, she came to me with request. She handed me her credit cards (she had a handful of them) and asked me to keep them away from her reach until she settled every bill. It was almost a year before she could claim them. The whole experience was a lesson for her, as well as for me. I decided to possess just one credit card. This helps me manage my finances better since I see one consolidated bill which accurately gauges my expenditure and is due at the same time each month, allowing me enough time to arrange for payment before the due date.

Material objects bring temporary pleasure but the joy of ownership pales in comparison to the joy other activities can bring. Today I had my music class. It had been a busy day till then, I had not practiced and I was not sure I could handle singing. But once the class started, I was transposed into a world of melody, engrossed in music, drowning in the ocean of new raagas. I tried to keep pace with the teacher, I grasped at slippery notes and subtle nuances. I felt transformed at the end of the hour. I felt rejuvenated, refreshed, full.

The best things in life are not bought, but experienced.

No comments:

Post a Comment