Wednesday, January 18, 2012

My First Love - Aparna's first poem

Aparna wrote this poem today at the literary workshop for school children at the Hyderabad Literary Festival held at Taramati Baradari. I am thrilled at her effort and even more pleased to share that she won a prize for it, 8 poems from 140 submissions were selected for the prize.

MY FIRST LOVE

He came into my life
One Sunday morning
He was my first
He brought such joy I have never felt before
We brought him home
He explored the place
He settled down and took a rest.
I looked at him lovingly,
Imagining how life would be now.

The days passed
And I grew to love him more
We ran and played
And grew closer
He became a part of me; a possession
Perhaps I took him for granted
For four years later,
When I saw him lying still there, I was devastated.
His tongue out, and his tail stiff,
Tears rolled out and fell to the floor.
I knew he was gone forever.
I looked at him lovingly,
Imagining how life would be now
Without him.

But when he was here, I had been happy
‘That was his job,’ she said, ‘to make you happy.’
‘To teach you how to love.’
I hope he’s happy in heaven
Chasing butterflies and cats
My first ever pet,
Sharky.

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic stuff Aparna. Really loved the poem, the way you set it up, the change in mood, the way it leaves you with a deep impact, the visual element of Sharky happy in heaven. Brilliant! Keep at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the encouraging words Hari. It means a lot coming from a published writer like you.

    ReplyDelete