Friday, December 30, 2011

The year that was - 2011

It is that time of the year when newspapers and magazines start listing the major events of the year that is coming to a close. Usually there is a list of famous people who passed on - this year has seen a lot of departures in the arts in India, Bhimsen Joshi, Jagjit Singh, Dev Anand, MF Husain, Shammi Kapoor, to mention a few. There are lists of victories, usually in the sports arena. And there are other significant catastrophes, some made by nature like earthquakes and other made by man like the stock market roller coaster.

I like to personally take stock of what the year means to me, not just what has come my way but what I have done with what I have received. When I look back at 2011, it does not seem very momentous when viewed from an "outside-in" perspective. For example, by the time December 2010 arrived, I had moved into my own apartment and booked my new car. I had handled work and home admirably even tending to my father after his heart attack in the same months that saw much personal and professional movement.

In contrast, 2011 has been a tame year (or is it lame year?). I continue to live in the same apartment without making any significant changes to my living space. I drive my new car with pride and sold the old one after much personal sentimental trauma for letting it go. My work has not changed drastically nor has my bank balance. My daughter is a year older and fully immersed in "teenager-hood" if there is such a word. Nothing too striking.

But if I look from the inside-out, it has been a year of major shifts. I went into a prolonged state of "status quo" with not much work lining up professionally. I struggled hard with the idea of keeping my work life the same or growing the business. I took to meditation in a big way. I went on a couple of lovely holidays. I started learning music once more. I learnt to take things lightly and made progress towards going with the flow. I learnt to trust my intuition in making major decisions without analyzing options to death, as I was used to doing.

I read some lovely books, made new friends. I watched a few good movies but attended several wonderful live performances including the dance festival, the German philharmonic, Runa Laila and many others. I attended a couple of weddings. I bought expensive jewelry (quite scary). I ventured into new territory in the kitchen by making avakai this summer. I was thrilled to be invited to give the keynote address at a symposium to encourage women scientists. I got new clients and secured new business and referrals from existing ones. I mentored some and took advice from others. I gave freely and gratefully received help when I needed it.

I grew as a person. I made peace with myself on many counts.

But just as the newspaper will once again start printing the daily news from January first, so will life go on, one day at a time. The end of the year offers on opportunity to pause, to briefly reflect on the path we have traveled, to observe the milestones we have passed. But our work is to move on. To travel, to grow, to achieve.

No comments:

Post a Comment