Thursday, April 15, 2010

Message in a magazine



On most days newspapers carry depressing news. Sometimes there are interesting editorials and op-ed columns that are worth reading. Very rarely do I find any article of enduring interest. The Sunday Indian Express i-witness spread is an exception. Some of the weekly columns are quite witty and I find “Loony Life” by Jaya Madhavan to be really funny. The most interesting item of all is the “Mind and Body” segment by Swahilya Shambavi. Each week it features an interesting philosophical or spiritual topic. Lately the column has been on focusing on yoga asanas.

I took to yoga a few months after Aparna was born. I was stressed with a full-time job, new baby and no extended family support system. The lunch hour Hatha Yoga class was indeed a God-send for me. It helped me lose the extra weight of the pregnancy and eased the strain on the mind and body. I have been a consistent practitioner of yoga for over 12 years now. I have my favorite routines that I alternate and also try new asanas when I encounter them. My latest achievement has been the suryanamaskar. When I am too lazy to attempt different postures, the suryanamaskar is a no-brainer in exercising the whole body in a synchronized set of poses. I could do 2 or 4 sets at most (one set is composed of two rounds with alternate sides of the body leading the routine) and was happy with it. Then I set myself a higher target. I am happy to report that I can now do 10 suryanamaskars in one go, without a break (except for a few moments of rest after 5).

When I suffered the debilitating arthritis-like effects of chikungunya a few months ago, I was unable to do the most basic exercises, like standing on one foot, due to the excruciating pain. I hated not being able to get back on track. So I doubled the time I normally spend on pranayama. That helped. It has taken 6 months to get back to 10 suryanamaskars and therefore I am thrilled. I had gained a few kilos (no idea how many) and certainly added a few inches around the middle in the interim (my clothes that almost don’t fit are the final proof). A friend casually asked if it was a side effect of chikungunya. That was the impetus I needed to quickly escalate my practice to get back into a shape that makes me feel better.

I appreciated the wise words of Swahilya this week when she emphasized that “Hatha yoga focuses on getting energy flowing in the desired direction. When the flow of energy is in tune with good health, the final result is weight loss.” What particularly stuck with me was her suggestion to try using affirmations to accelerate the process. For an expanding abdomen, the appropriate affirmation to use is “All the love I want, all the inspiration and energy I need is within me right now.”

I am working on it. Will keep you posted on the progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment