Sunday, October 16, 2011

One year

It suddenly dawned on me that I have spent a year in my "new" home. I moved into my apartment exactly a year ago. While I was excited at the prospect of finally having some square footage to call my own, I dreaded the change. I had spent 5 years at the previous address. I knew the milkman, the newspaper boy and had a good support system which enabled the household to run smoothly. I could tell what time it was by Buddy's barks on his morning walk. In the evenings, inevitably, my old neighbor of indeterminable age would sit at her doorstep, observing the comings and goings. On Tuesdays, the park across would be filled with kids on roller-skates. I was close to tears when the moving truck pulled out of the gate with my belongings.

It took a while to find a place for everything and to get everything into its new place. Moving from a large duplex house to an apartment is no easy task. I thought I had given up and given away a lot of my belongings in the weeks prior to the move. But I found out how much more baggage I had when several boxes stubbornly sat in the living room, refusing to move unless a proper space was found for its contents.

But things settled down. There were only 10 occupants in the building. The neighbors across helped provide contact information for the milkman and newspaper boy. Aunty negotiated with the maid on my behalf while Uncle befriended my father and later provided breakfast on days I had to travel early in the morning. The new school bus route brought new friends for Aparna and gave an extra fifteen minutes of sleep each morning. We now had two parking spots in the cellar, elevators and backup power. There weren't too many shops nearby though necessities like a medical shop, Xerox machine and a kirana store were within a reasonable walking distance.

Then came Diwali. Fairly quiet and dark. You could tell how many families lived here by counting the diyas in the balconies. A small gathering was organized for New Year's eve. About 50 families celebrated Holi. The swimming pool was full of people in May. The elections for the committee took place in June. And over 60 families stood together to hoist the flag on 15 August. We sang Jana Gana Mana and Vande Mataram to mark the first function celebrated by the Executive Committee. We welcomed Lord Ganesha with a grand 5-day celebration. And this Dasera, there is 90% occupancy.

I have made several new friends. Some like me, have moved within the city while others have relocated from other metros, following lucrative job offers from the booming local economy. I have new members in my support system. I buy vegetables from the Rhythu Bazaar truck that brings fresh produce every Tuesday morning. I slow down as I drive over speed-bumps and watch for little kids playing in the driveway. I walk around the building each night after dinner, savoring the cool breeze that sometimes blows me away. I know the old Uncles who also walk at this time. I see Goldy out for her night walk and stroke her golden coat as she runs towards me with a small bark of recognition.

I am once again comfortable. Comfort comes not from being in "my place" but by making this place "mine".

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations Ranjani and may you have many years of peace, health, prosperity, great relationships and joy in your wonderful new home.

    ReplyDelete