Monday, October 3, 2011

Fifth gear

"Please pick up your ward at 8.00 a.m. sharp at the airport." The SMS appeared on my phone at 3.45 a.m. It was Sunday morning and the school excursion group was returning from a week-long visit to Rajasthan. I had decided to drive down by myself to the airport, something I had not done previously. At 7 a.m. I was speaking to Shyamala about the airport parking logistics and she pointed out that I should probably be on my way right now. She was right. The airport is 35 km from my home. But I pottered about the house some more, read the paper while I sipped my morning cup of tea. I pulled my car from its spot at 7.30 a.m.

The Outer Ring Road (ORR) leads straight to the airport. It is a road I take frequently on my many trips outside Hyderabad. But I always take a cab. I have seen the transformation of this grand stretch of highway after the inauguration of Shamshabad airport at all times of day and night. I have boarded domestic and international flights, arrived in blindingly hot summer afternoons and rainy evening thunderstorms. I have seen the many detours that sprung as parts of the road were constructed and then pieced together like toy train tracks. I have seen the beautiful rocks of the region reduced to rubble and heard the dynamite blasting away the hillocks. Today, there is a gorgeous wide blacktop road with 4 lanes on each side that cuts across a dense urban jungle and runs beside the lake as it traverses small settlements to end in the ultra-modern glass and metal facade of the Rajiv Gandhi airport.

I got onto the ORR and changed gears as my car happily picked up speed until I finally engaged the fifth. All the lanes belonged to me. At that time of the morning, only a few cars dotted the road ahead. I passed a green Meru cab and Maruti 800. I leisurely surveyed the surroundings - no honks, no brakes, no sudden swerves. The speedometer showed 110 km. I noticed for the first time that my dashboard speedometer has markings till 240 km! I routinely drove at speeds above 65 miles an hour when I drove in the US. But just getting into fifth is such a rare occurrence while driving in Hyderabad. It was absolutely exhilarating to be in control of the car, on a smooth road while heading to your destination without any stress. I relaxed. A few cars passed me. I wondered how fast they were going. And why? I turned on some music. I sang along.

Before I knew it, the airport exit came up. Time - 7.50 a.m. I reluctantly pulled into the final stretch and parked. Time - 8.00 a.m. sharp. The day had begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment