Sunday, March 27, 2011

Right fit wrong shoe - Book Review

In one sentence, Mills and Boon meets Bollywood.

A breezy light-hearted love story set in small town India, Kanpur to be specific, features (rather, stars), pretty young girl-next door, Nandini and tall, loaded and handsome, son of neighbor, Aditya, in typical Bollywood setting. It is a desi version of the good old Mills And Boon stories that I used to read in my youth. It was refreshing to see the standard love story ingredients set in contemporary India with a jilted young man returning to wreak revenge for the wrongs done by ex-flame.

I read this book on my train journey to Bangalore last week, as I headed to attend my cousins wedding. I finished the book by the time the train stopped at Bangalore city station. Varsha Dixit has churned a "cute" book with the regular cast of characters common to any movie script; loving parents, perfect relationship with extended family, absolutely devoted friend, doting neighboring aunties, including one referred to as "Badi Maa" etc etc. For a change, Nandini appears to be a feminist who is not afraid to voice her opinions. The dialogs with Aditya are quite corny while the liberal Bollywood masala sprinkling which predominates the interactions with her friend are quite funny if you understand the context.

Nandini is a lovable, if superficial character and the cliched intimate moments with Aditya are hilarious. The book is a reader's version of the Bollywood movies that it seeks to imitate. Worth one read, no stress on your grey cells.

2 comments:

  1. I have been meaning to read this book because it has a title with a theme that is close to my heart. Now that you have reviewed it positively I shall read it. Thanks Ranjani.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    Hope you had a fun weekend.I truly appreciate your review of my debut book. Aditya Sarin, Nandini Sharma and Sneha Gupta and someone else very interesting are back with a . . . bang. Wanted to invite you to join the book group titled WRONG MEANS RIGHT END. Wrong Means Right End, due out in September 2012, is the sequel to Right Fit Wrong Shoe. On that page, I have posted and will be posting teasers/excerpts from the unpublished book. Do spread the word to those interested. C ya there! Hugs!

    https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/390658570981166/

    Varsha Dixit (Author – Right Fit Wrong Shoe)

    ReplyDelete