Monday, March 7, 2011

Happy International Women's Day



It began early this morning - emails and text messages wishing me on this day that has been set aside to celebrate women. Some congratulate me on being a good mother and ask me to forward it to other mothers. Some mushy messages claiming "life is incomplete without women" arrive from people I hardly know. There are some that emphasize the differences between the genders and highlight only the good part of being a woman.

I wonder if all this fuss is warranted. After all women make up half the human population on this planet. We really are not an exotic species. And while we have specific emotional characteristics which make us the nurturers, we are as fallible as the next man, afflicted as we are with the common imperfections of being human.

I think it is best that we celebrate not just womanhood, which is a part of who we are, but our own identities as individuals, trying to do our best with our life; by being kind, humble and grateful for our blessings.

My best wishes to all women today - May your day be as unique and special as you are.
(quoted from my favorite email of the day)

No comments:

Post a Comment