Saturday, August 18, 2012

Defining happiness

I had an interesting discussion with my students last week. I asked them what does "happiness" mean for each one of them. They came up with interesting answers but all of them could be summarized as the feeling that followed the acquisition of something they wanted, whether the object was material (like a cellphone or abstract as in words of praise). I am sure this would be the answer any other group would come up with as well. But is this right?

If happiness lies in acquisition alone then the wealthy would always be happy and the poor would not smile! Most things that bring joy to us are free - a child's smile, a beautiful sunset, blooming flowers. Then why do we equate happiness with acquiring objects and empty words? Perhaps the incessant media messages and the resultant peer pressure that makes us think only along the lines of material wealth as a source of happiness. Is human nature this shallow?

Is "having" something a prerequisite to being happy? If yes, we crave things, we keep doing, working, stressing ourselves as we rise higher up the social hierarchy. Is it possible to just "be" in the moment? As I heard someone say, "We have become human doings instead of human beings." We believe that we can be "happy" - as if it is a destination, once we "have" all the necessary ingredients and for that, we have to constantly "do" something.

My students asked me what my definition of happiness was. I had no prepared response but on the spur of the moment, I said "being alive". In a way, it does echo my belief that for me to experience happiness, the prerequisite is to be alive first. And each day I am grateful to wake up and appreciate all I have in my life already. I like my life the way it is right now. And from this space of contentment and fullness, I can look at avenues for creating more such moments in this life. Being in the moment, helps me move to the next with a sense of enthusiasm. Therefore I set about doing things that will add to my already existing levels of happiness.

I have concluded that being happy is the prerequisite to having all the things you want and not the other way around.

No comments:

Post a Comment