Saturday, March 31, 2012

Manthan experience

I attended the Manthan discussion yesterday at Saptaparni. It was a chance to listen to the noted Carnatic vocalist T.M. Krishna talk about "Who does the musician sing for?" We were late and the discussion was already in progress. The cozy amphitheater was full of listeners interested in participating in a dialog as Krishna asked thought-provoking questions both of himself (representing a community of musicians) and of the audience. We sat with the cool grass tickling our feet as a gentle breeze blew through the trees that circle the seats.

"What is the relationship between the musician and the music? between the singer and the composer? between the listener and the performer? Is it necessary to understand the words in the song? Since Carnatic music is almost exclusively devotional in nature, can an atheist set out to learn Carnatic music? What does the audience expect when they attend a live music concert as opposed to when they watch a movie in a theater?" Wonderfully stimulating points for discussion. The audience was quite forthcoming in answering and defending their viewpoints. Krishna was equally adept at managing the wide-ranging responses and incorporating them into a logical resolution. He expressed his own opinions quite eloquently.

So many insights into topics that I had wondered about before.

I love attending live classical music performances. I prefer that to passively watching movies. When Krishna emphasized that an art music performance is not merely paid entertainment but a shared aesthetic experience between the listener and the musician in celebration of the music itself, he verbalized my own feelings about this subject. When I am sitting in an auditorium attending a performance, I have always felt humbled to have this privilege of being a part of the communion between the artist and his art. By my presence and participation, I get a glimpse of the divine. I vividly recall dance ballets and concerts from 20 years ago where I have felt removed from my physical self as I am transported by the atmosphere into a mystical environment. In many ways then, the artist is not merely performing but allowing me to witness something larger than either of us.

Krishna also talked about how an artist (or a listener) may not understand the words or agree with the sentiments of the composition he is singing but he can appreciate the melodic appeal of the lyrics and the sheer beauty of the music. This is why we feel drawn to different kinds of music, sometime vocal, sometimes instrumental even when there are no words or words that we do not understand. It simply appeals to us. We enjoy it. Period. Seldom do we pause to reflect on the “why?” of it. In response to a question, he pointed out the difference between Carnatic and Hindustani music and expressed what he would like to see in an audience. The discussion ended with a rendition of Vande Mataram and a composition in raga Kalyani.

It was a great way to spend a Friday evening, getting to know new facets of a musician. It was intellectual discussion perhaps but one that probably enhances my interest in music. Knowing that each time I attend a live concert, I am involved in a shared musical experience that I can feel and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment