Saturday, April 30, 2011

Break vs breakthrough

Whenever I strive for something in life, visualize a place to be that is very different from I am right now, I somehow feel that I need a "break", someone to give me a chance, a step-up, a hand, to make that move. I acutely feel the need to make the leap but keep waiting for the break. And as it happens, like with Birbal's khichdi story, the more you wait, anticipate and expect, it seems to take forever. And that provides the best excuse for not moving, "I did not get a break". Simple.

There is another way though. I can move very quickly into another orbit, as long as I garner enough escape velocity and breakthrough into a different path. This requires a lot more personal reserve and self-confidence. It is easier to speak about breakthroughs. They are about as common as miracles. But miracles do happen. And breakthroughs can occur. I know this.

But how do I gain momentum? Pick up confidence? Keep the faith?

One piece of the answer came to me this week. I think self-awareness is the key. If I can identify my specific niche, my combination of talents and abilities and trust, it will surely accumulate the required magnitude and velocity to enable flight. So many times in the last three years, I have received well-meaning advice about what I should be doing to grow my business. I have seen how others in the field are moving along. How infusion of vast reserves of capital or infrastructure can propel companies to grow quickly. But I have shied away from that approach.

I have finally defined that what differentiates me from the biggies, is the focus on knowledge-based problem-solving, of providing personalized service, of working for a happy experience for the clients who consult me. It is not large number of staff or fancy furniture and gadgets. It is my reputation and good will collected through the years of sticking with my vision.

And now I think the time has come for reaping the rewards. I am expecting a breakthrough soon. Wish me luck.

1 comment:

  1. I second everything that you have written in this blog! All of us have to do an introspection of what it is that makes us special, business person or otherwise.

    All the Best!

    ReplyDelete