Friday, April 15, 2011

Aparna's Blog

Everyone knows Sudha Murthy. But does anyone know about her grandmother?

One of the recent assignments we had to do in English was based on the story “How I taught my Grandmother to Read,” which is a lesson in our textbook. It is a simply narrated tale about how Sudha’s grandmother, being illiterate, was dependent on her to read her favorite story to her from the weekly magazine. When she realizes how much it means to be educated, she asks to be taught the Kannada script. Finally, her efforts bear fruit and she accomplishes her dream to learn to read and write. Our task was to write a diary entry pretending to be the grandmother, on the day of the Saraswati Puja, when she thanks the Goddess and her granddaughter for the gift of education. Here is what I wrote.
_________________________________________________________

I have always admired Swami Vivekananda’s quote “Education is the manifestation of the perfection that is already within you.” And I have always thought what a wonderful thought it is, with such a beautiful meaning. But I have never really understood what it really means. Until today. Today I believe I have lived to experience the very true essence of this powerful saying. Today I have received the greatest gift of all - education. Today I have found the purpose of life. Today I stand an educated, independent lady. But the process of my education did not take place overnight. It has been a long journey.

Four months ago, I asked my granddaughter to teach me the Kannada alphabet. After burning the midnight oil on many occasions and diligently doing my homework, I can now proudly say I am literate. Today I bow down to my granddaughter; my teacher, for all her help-sacrificing her play time to sit with me and patiently go over the Kannada script.

Today, on Saraswati Puja, she gifted me a copy of the novel ‘Kashi Yatre’, which I am capable of reading all by myself now. It is only unfortunate that I didn’t have the privilege of experiencing the pleasure of education the first 62 years of my life. But now I have learnt to appreciate it, to treasure it. It is as if I have acquired enlightenment. I will never forget this day - the day I begin my new life with my most precious gift - my newfound education.

No comments:

Post a Comment