Sunday, August 29, 2010

Removing blocks

Why is it so hard to get things moving sometimes? You try your best but things don’t budge. And usually it happens in a sequence. Or in bunches. Let me explain.

Last week was one such week where I seemed to be battling people/businesses/clients who could be classified under the letter “B”. First there was the Bank (one of India’s biggest) who takes pride in moving things slowly. Procedure becomes paramount as people cover up inefficiencies, both personal and in the system. The plus point – they are now trained to be polite while they go about their business at a geriatric pace.

The other enemy was the Builder, who would not let m have the keys to my apartment, insisting that the Bank pay him the last loan installment. I offered him a cheque for the same amount hoping to get a head start on getting my kitchen done up. But between the two “B”s, I was stuck.

Then there was a client whose name starts with “B” who continued to harass me. We have been dancing around the terms of a consulting agreement for months and just when I sent him a “final” proposal, he revised the terms again. At my wit’s end, I insisted that this was it and I could not negotiate any further. Finally he relented.
While I was battling the Bs, my father came down with a bigger B. A heart attack. How is that a B? Well the cause of the attack was the “big Block” in his heart. Fortunately the correct treatment was given in time and he is back home now. Think about 3 days in an ICU, in a Big corporate hospital in Hyderabad, without insurance. What we kids had to cough up was a “Big Bill”.

With all this drama, I sincerely hope I am out of the bad bout with Bs. With the block in the heart cleared up, I hope the flow of all good things towards me will begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment