Friday, January 24, 2014

A love for libraries

A cold breeze instantly chills me as I walk inside from the harsh afternoon humidity. My eyes take a few second to adjust to the dim interior though it is only a response to the sun's glare. I feel soothed, as if I am sipping a refreshing cool drink although there is no food or drink allowed inside the library. Its the sight of books that calms me, rejuvenates me and recreates in my mind the endless days of my childhood where I read everything I could lay my hands on.

There were no public libraries in Mumbai where I grew up. But I always had access to books. I read everything in the modest school library, borrowed shamelessly from friends whose homes were virtual treasure troves of books, secretly read Harold Robbins that lay around my grandparents home, probably being read by an aunt. While there were no official-looking libraries, there was the local store which traded old newspapers and magazines and lent paperbacks for next to nothing. The store had entire collections of Nancy Drew, Famous Fives and all the staple English books, many of them authored by Enid Blyton in the era preceding Harry Potter. My brothers and I fought over who got to read the Tintin or Asterix comics first. We narrated the funny bits to each other and to our mother as she cooked dinner for us. We then traded up to Sidney Sheldon and Jeffrey Archer. As I gravitated towards Mills and Boon and Danielle Steel, I veered away from the reading tastes that I had until then shared with my brothers. Reading habits marked my age, ability and personality. It tracked not just my tastes, but my maturity. It held my hand and illuminated the coming of age wonder years. Books were my friend, my guiding light and solace. And continue to be today.

No wonder then that one of the greatest source of joy for me in Singapore has been the ability to access the wonderful public libraries here. The one closest to home is located in the mall at the metro station and has a limited selection. The better one is the regional library which is 4 floors of book heaven. One level has audiovisual materials available while another focuses only on children. The rows of books are neatly arranged, precisely labeled and accurately identified in the online catalog. Magazines can also be rented. Along the long glass windows lining the walls, there are desks and chairs with outlets to plug in your laptop. A separately enclosed "quiet reading area" is furnished with comfortable sofas where you can safely browse or drowse.

I spent a productive afternoon there last week. Most of my fellow-library users were youngsters, school or college kids with their gadgets and devices. With a laptop open, I saw them fiddling with iPads or phones, texting or listening with earphones. I wonder if they got any homework done! I finished reading the last few pages of a book and then opened my laptop to write in that strange quiet of shared solitude in a public place. It felt wonderful. The words flowed as though I was afloat in a stream of imagination with words as my oars to navigate the streams of thought. I had been feeling adrift in this new country with no friends to hang out with, to vent or to venture. But the library felt like home, the books like old classmates that I had missed while we had both been busy doing other things. Now I have them within reach. Like the ones closest to you, these books will support me, watch out for me and be there to provide their infinite wisdom when I reach out to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment