Friday, August 26, 2011

Potpourri - Book Review



I am glad that the first Ruskin Bond book I read is actually a collection of "choicest stories from the treasure trove of the indisputable master story teller." The book features all the styles of writing that Bond is known for - ghost stories, memoir pieces, short stories - filled with love or comedy, poems and traditional tales. And what great fun it is to discover a wonderful new writer, new to me, but one who has stuck to his craft for decades, before finally finding recognition.

The ghost stories, are really short but filled with minimal detail, leaving the rest to the imagination of the reader while igniting that sinking, scared feeling in the pit of your stomach. I particularly enjoyed "Gone Fishing" and "The Overcoat". The love stories "Binya Passes By" and "Love and Cricket" are tenderly narrated. The very short story "Girl on the train" has a twist you just don't see coming while "Eyes of the cat" and "A Face in the Dark" are chilling tales.

The memoir pieces "Escape from Java" and "Our Great Escape" are lovely, told lovingly without pretension. The comedy pieces are real treats, "The Zigzag Walk" and "At Sea with Uncle Ken" being my favorite stories.

This book features the now well-known "Susanna's Seven Husbands", the story that gave the idea for "Saat Khoon Maaf" starring Priyanka Chopra as Susanna. Its not the best story in the book and I can't tell you how the movie compares.

The real gems are the poems and I leave you with one to think about. But not before I insist that you read this book, whether you have read Ruskin Bond before this or not.

"Do You Believe in Ghosts?"

"Do you believe in ghosts?"
Asked the passenger
On platform number three
"I'm a rational man," said I,
"I believe in what I can see-
Your hands, your feet, your beard!"
"Then look again," said he,
And promptly disappeared!

No comments:

Post a Comment