Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My experiments with meditation

After many years of curiosity regarding meditation, I finally accomplished one of my goals for the year 2010 (almost a year late) when I completed the 7-day introduction to Raja Yoga meditation course taught by the Brahmakumaris organization in April. I had been watching the show "Awakening with Brahmakumaris" show on Astha channel for several months and found their philosophy, as explained by the articulate Sister Shivani, appealing to me on many counts.

As a scientist (translates into "skeptic"), I have always been wary of the multiple Baba, Matas and Devis of our country, each with their crazed fan following. As someone told me once, the two lucrative "businesses" in India are education and ashrams. I have found it difficult to blindly follow the teachings of any single human being, however great they may be, because they are, like me, merely mortal. More disappointment comes from finding out that the venerated "gods" have feet of clay than from any flaw in their teaching.

The Brahmakumaris philosophy seemed simple and logical, to my analytical mind. Our destiny is created by our thoughts and with a minor change in our thinking, we could change our life! Raja Yoga meditation is the route to communing directly with the Supreme source to rejuvenate our human lives and bring meaningful transformation. In the 7-day course, the basics of the philosophy is explained for an hour a day with guidance on the technique of meditation. There was no major "enlightenment" during the week that I went to the center. But I knew that the road was one that I had to travel alone.

So I tried. Woke up at 4.30 a.m. and tried to quieten my thoughts at that hour of the morning. I was amazed at the ability of my mind to speed through multiple unrelated thoughts even as I was physically waking up my body. But the moments of quiet reflection were a good way to begin the day. Sometimes I went back to sleep, sometimes I felt alert and ready to get started with the day.

But I had the most amazing experience two weeks ago at the Brahmakumari Shanti Sarovar retreat center. Every evening from 6.30 -7.30 p.m. they meditate. The room is large, dimly lit and serene. As the sun set, the moisture-laden clouds crowded in and with the background of the natural premonsoon breeze, the sky changed colors. As the evening progressed, in that atmosphere of group meditation, I clearly heard a message "From now everything will be easy. You are not alone. I am with you."
I don't think these were verbalized but the message was clear, memorable and distinct. When the session ended, I felt lighter, happier, more alive. I felt safe. Secure. I felt loved.

It is two weeks since that eventful day and I returned the following weekend as well. I have felt other similar messages coming to me. While my meditation technique may not be perfect, my intention is sincere. All it seems to need is the peaceful atmosphere of the center and good vibrations from the other peaceful souls congregating to commune with god. With such catalysts, I am sure I can create a future for myself that is more peaceful and meaningful for me.

1 comment: