Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Down Memory Lane - Day 2






On the surface, everything looked the same. Sylvan Park, where I used to take Aparna as a toddler, dressed in comfortable clothes and safely buckled up in her stroller, still had the colorful play structure with the blue bouncy surface to minimize injuries. The tennis courts were empty on this windy Sunday. The apartment complex was still in the same place, but its name had changed, along with new bright colors that made the walls look younger. I am sure the kindly Claude and his wife are no longer the caretakers of the property. The store that sold bedsheets etc had closed down but the hair salon and Pizza Hut were in place. A new Indian grocery store had opened within walking distance, proudly displaying the tricolor.

Many storefronts had changed hands, some remained unopened. The traffic lights worked efficiently as ever. I wondered if the yoga class with strict instructor still met every Saturday at 7 a.m in the shopping center in Mountain View. The Thai restaurant and adjacent bowling alley had empty parking lots. “See’s candies” was closed. I was told that the hospital where Aparna was born no longer operates from the Kiely Bouelvard location in Santa Clara, they have brand new facilities in two new buildings in the area. The private school where she attended kindergarten has grown to multiple branches. Many of my friends with children of the same age as Aparna, have moved out of the bay area. Some of my former colleagues are now looking for jobs as they approach their last day at work, the Roche Palo Alto site where I had enjoyed working until 2003 was officially being shutdown in the next few weeks.

We drove around the beautiful site, land that belonged to Stanford and leased to a hopeful pharmaceutical company long time ago. The site had seen its share of ups and down in the last few decades. I had joined at one such turning point when it had been acquired by the large Swiss pharmaceutical major. We were a new group, hired for our skills and potential. We learnt on the job and off it - how to develop drugs; team work; leadership; motivation; support. I walked up steps that led to my corner office and peered through the blinds. The cafeteria was closed. The somber artwork still looked down upon us benevolently. The walking paths I had tread on, at lunch time or in a dull moment in the afternoon, looked inviting, as always. I thought of my yoga teacher and my aerobics class that was held weekdays at lunch time in the on-site gym. I reminisced about my bosses and colleagues. I smiled at the encouragement and environment which contributed to the enthusiasm with which I approached my work. I asked Aparna to take a picture besides the familiar sign, the blue hexagon with Roche embedded in it. It had stayed there long enough for me to say a final goodbye.

I feel sad to see all this go. There is finality to this visit. This was my first job – which taught me patiently, like a mother, and like a first love, I cannot forget the times I spent here, nor can I belittle its contribution to my growth as a pharma professional. Thank you.

As with the seasons, birth and decay happens with the consent of nature and this is but one stage as we move towards developing meaningful medicines for improving human health. I am privileged to be a part of this family.

No comments:

Post a Comment